This job posting is no longer active.
Reporting to the Vice President, Operations the General Manager will be responsible for ensuring that the facility is managed in a manner that contributes to the achievement of objectives established through annual operating plans. The General Manager provides strong and effective day-to-day leadership and management fostering an environment that encourages full team contribution by all employees to overall company objectives. The GM will work closely with Senior Management to ensure strategic business objectives are achieved.
Responsibilities LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES:
INFLUENCING/INDIVIDUAL LEADERSHIP, DEVELOPING OTHERS/COACHING MANAGING RESOURCES AND CONFLICT:
- Maintains an effective management and support structure that reflects the facility's requirements.
- Recruits, selects, hires and trains Department Managers.
- Ensures all staff adhere to:
- Canlan's policies, procedures and best practices.
- Reporting systems.
- Job expectations.
- Manage and develop staff within the facility (inclusive of ongoing learning and development initiatives and related follow up / follow through).
- Facilitates regular departmental meetings.
BUSINESS GOALS, ONGOING PLANNING AND WORK MANAGEMENT:
Provide Strategy and Planning Leadership
- Ensures that facility priorities are aligned to and that full facility team supports:
- The Canlan Mission, Vision and Culture Statements.
- The Customer Service Charter.
- Corporate priorities.
- Supports Senior Management with developing and implementing the overall strategic plan.
- Ensures consistent delivery of Canlan's products and services to established standards using standard operating procedures.
- Communicates goals, objectives and expectations to facility staff and monitors performance against them on an ongoing basis.
- Ensures facility assets are maintained according to manufactures specifications and / or Canlan standards to ensure life expectancy.
TEAM (EFFECTIVE WORK GROUP) DEVELOPMENT AND CUSTOMER FOCUS/RELATIONSHIP:
- Actively solicits & participates in ongoing communication with Corporate Directors and Managers other GMs, Departmental Managers and staff, as required.
- Ensures all Managers and staff are directly focused on exceeding customer service expectations.
- Provides customer relations/public relations.
Provide Health and Safety Leadership:
- Ensures Health and Safety Standards are met by all staff.
- Ensures that an active Health & Safety committee exists in the facility.
- Ensures a safe working environment and a safe customer environment for the facility as detailed in the Risk Management checklist.
- Ensures the Facility Emergency Plan is in place, and all staff and tenants are trained.
DECISION MAKING AND RESULTS:
Manage Financial Accountability and Administrative Requirements:
- Ensures development, implementation, delivery and achievement of Annual Operating Plan.
- Manages payroll.
- Review and approves all purchase orders, invoices and payroll submissions prior to submission to home office for processing.
- Provides facility financial & business data and forecasts as required (i.e. weekly, bi-weekly and a 3-month rolling format).
- Ensures the Accounts Receivable process is managed.
- Manages month end reporting procedures by analyzing and interpreting all financial reports, develops corrective measures / actions as required.
STRATEGIC RELATIONSHIPS AND MANAGING CONFLICTS:
Manage Stakeholder Relationships:
- Ensures effective communication and working relationships with all stakeholders.
- Resolves conflicts between stakeholders, where required.
SALES ABILITY, PERSUASIVENESS AND FOLLOW-UP:
- Monitors sales results and provides leadership / feedback as required.
- Assists with sales calls and presentations.
- Reviews plans to maximize revenues prior to implementing.
PROVIDES MARKETING LEADERSHIP:
- Ensures development and implementation of facility marketing strategy and action plan.
- On an ongoing basis, identifies the current market social, demographic and corporate trends that may impact the facility's ability to meet its objectives.
- Ensures all corporate marketing initiatives are implemented.
- Develops and maintains strategic relationships within the facilities community and catchment area to maximize revenue.
ENERGY & ENVIROMENTAL MANAGEMENT:
- Ensures consideration for best practices in energy use management and environmental impact are employed in all projects.
- Demonstrated strong team leadership and development ability.
- Entrepreneurial sales & business development skills (in a sports / recreational environment).
- Strong customer / client focus
- Diploma or Degree in Business, Recreation, Facility Management or a combination of experience and education.
- 5 years (plus) experience in sports facility management, including strong program marketing experience, food & beverage exposure and facility maintenance.
- Experience with the technical aspects of ice making and maintenance preferred.