This job posting is no longer active.
Canlan Ice Sports offers an impressive number of recreational and instructional programs for all ages and for all levels. These include Dasani™ 3on3, Hockey Academies, Skating Academies, Canlan Sports Camps and much more.
Under the direction of the Program Manager, the Program Coordinator is responsible for the direction of the 3 on 3 Youth Hockey League and more generally to assist with the sales/marketing and execution of all programs as well as in-house youth tournaments.
Please Note: This position is a seasonal role that will start mid April and finish the end of August.
Responsibilities CORE COMPETENCIES:
(Integrity) Acting honestly with integrity, being productive, co-operative, accountable, responsible, flexible and positive.
- Proven work ethic, with utmost integrity.
- Maintains confidentiality
- Meets personal commitments.
- Adheres to policy & regulations.
MAINTAINS PERSONAL STANDARDS:
Being concerned with personal well being, maintains standards of dress and hygiene which align to Canlan guidelines.
- Dressed professionally as detailed in dress code policy.
ATTENDANCE, PUNCTUALITY AND TIMELINESS:
Achieves expectations with regards to schedules and is sensitive to the timeliness needs of others.
- Adheres to posted schedule.
- Understands holidays will be limited during peak seasons (i.e. summer or holiday camps).
- Is prepared and arrives early for each on-ice/off-ice activity.
Knows & understands the needs of the customer (both internal & external). Puts a high priority on Customer Satisfaction.
- Listens and empathizes with customers.
- Clarifies customers' needs.
- Confirms customer satisfaction.
- Takes initiative with customers to actively sell products and services.
- Is available to answer questions before and after all on/off-ice instructional camps / programs / leagues to the best of their ability.
- Clarifies customer’s needs, responds to all emails, phone calls in a timely manner.
- Educates the customer on program delivery, purpose of the programs to actively sell our products & services.
Builds positive relationships with customers and fellow staff. Is responsive in dealing with people. Displays a solid "service attitude".
- Participates in keeping all areas of the facility neat, tidy and safe at all times.
- Understands the purpose of each camp / program / league and the needs of the athletes.
- Is available to answer customer questions before & after all on-ice activities to the best of their ability.
- Assists fellow management in hosting trade shows and events while building relationships with the communities at these events.
- Sets a positive example for the instructors to follow, when dealing with all customers.
- Provides a fun and interactive environment.
- Works with other departments to cross-promote products and services where appropriate.
Works within and contributes to the effectiveness of the facility / department team. Respects differences, takes responsibility to help.
- Works effectively with others and independently.
- Desire to excel and succeed as a department and team.
- Sets the example, leads by example & expects the example to be followed by the team.
Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations.
- Ensures open, clear and effective communication occurs between Program Manager, the staff, volunteers, parents and the athletes.
- Ensures schedule is prepared in advance to ensure proper coverage.
- Ensures staff focuses on exceeding customer service expectations both on the ice and off the ice.
- Is accountable for and provides follow up with staff.
- Ability to defuse emotionally charged situations and strives to create win / win outcomes.
- Ability to listen effectively to all concerns and conflicts with an open mind and customer focus.
- Creates and maintains a positive and professional relationship with all stakeholders.
- Ability to provide constructive criticism/coaching to instructors as required.
- Provides a high level of accuracy and detail.
- Self-awareness, with a desire for constant self improvement (goal orientated).
- Provides a high level of professionalism.
ADAPTABLE & FLEXIBLE:
- Must be flexible to work irregular shifts (evenings and weekends).
- Self motivated, passionate, empathetic and approachable.
- Willingness to assist on an as needed basis in other departments / areas (based on ability).
- Ability to recognize a problem or trend and taking the appropriate steps to improve the situation or problem.
- Ability to be proactive, look back at weaknesses and move forward towards improvement.
- Ability to document the S.W.O.T. of the current season/session for future improvements.
UNDERSTANDS BUSINESS GOALS, PLANS & ORGANIZES:
- Is aware of the AOP targets & expectations.
- Assists, with day to day tasks, support the Program Manager by providing clear vision for progression and growth in the program offerings.
- Is aware of training policies and procedures for all new hires.
- Independent Contractor and Employee training manuals & milestones.
- Provides Independent Contractors with evaluations, to ensure staff development.
- Understands and Sells the Canlan camps, programs based on teaching and learning proper technique in all skill areas (which is the foundation of our success).
- Understands the goals for the department and how they contribute to the overall success of the facility and the company.
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
Provide Health and Safety Leadership:
- Is aware of the Facility Emergency Plan.
- Reports any unsafe Health & Safety conditions.
- Is aware of location of First Aid kit and Incident Reports.
- Is "WHMIS” and "Workplace Violence" trained.
- Is aware of the location of the Defibrillator is and how to use it.
- Is trained to level one safety standards.
- Identifies & recruits the needed Independent Contractors for the various programs.
- Oversees program execution, assist with program creation or implementation
- Continuously keeps inventory of equipment and replace the needed equipment regularly.
- Has strong communication skills with athletes, parents, and instructing staff.
- Is able to identify what training requirements are needed to improve and develop the current staff.
- Daily administration including, but not limited to; convening, referee/timekeeper scheduling, league statistics, conflict resolution and divisional alignment.
- Aggressive recruitment of teams, individual participants, goalies and volunteer coaches.
- Communication of team playing schedules, and interpretation of league rules to coaches.
- Problem solving as required and act as a direct liaison from management to the coaches and players. Including visitation to team dressing rooms and convening duties.
- Conduct coaches meetings and referee/timekeeper clinics.
- Collection of all team/player registration fees and waivers.
- Requesting payment of all independent contractors and payroll for part time staff associated with the league operations.
- Preparation and planning for future seasons including assisting in the Annual Operating Plan.
- Has proficient computer skills in: CLASS, Microsoft Office and Outlook.
- Ensures all volunteer coaching staff have completed a Police Background check.
ENERGY & ENVIROMENTAL SENSITIVITY:
- Ensures consideration for best practices in energy use management and environmental impact are employed.
- -Willingness and ability to work flexible hours (evenings & weekends).
- Experience working in a sports or leisure environment such as hockey camps or other children/youth camps, or coaching children and/or adults or as an example running leagues.
- Good understanding of skating and hockey fundamentals.
- Ability to interpret a rule book and administer in a fair manner the rules and penalties associated with operating a multi-team league.
- Asset – Respect in Sport Certification and/or Canadian Coaching Association levels.
- Asset – Hockey Referee experience
- Experience in customer service or sales & marketing.
- Graduation from a university/college in the Sports/Leisure Administration or kinesiology preferred.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Microsoft Office software (particularly Excel and Word).