The role is responsible for all aspects of facility building maintenance and ice production operations including ice maintenance, flooding, refrigeration plant operation, janitorial and building maintenance duties.
Scheduling, supervising and training of staff as well as ordering supplies & equipment, and following budgets & costs are also the responsibility of the Operations Manager.
This is a hand’s on management role – actively involved in day to day operations as well as a key member of the facility management team.
Responsibilities LEADERSHIP COMPETENCIES:
INFLUENCING/INDIVIDUAL LEADERSHIP, DEVELOPING OTHERS/COACHING MANAGING RESOURCES AND CONFLICT:
- Manages and develops staff within the department (inclusive of ongoing learning and development initiatives and related follow up / follow through).
- Recruits, selects, hires and trains staff.
- Ensures all staff adhere to:
- Canlan's policies, procedures and best practices.
- Reporting systems.
- Job expectations.
BUSINESS GOALS, ONGOING PLANNING AND WORK MANAGEMENT:
Provide Strategy and Planning Leadership:
- Ensures consistent delivery of Canlan's products and services to established standards using standard operating procedures.
- Ensures that departmental priorities are aligned to and that the department team support:
- The Canlan Mission, Vision and Culture Statements.
- The Customer Service Charter.
- Corporate priorities.
- Supports Senior Management with developing and implementing the overall strategic plan.
- Communicates goals, objectives and expectations to department staff and monitors performance against them on an ongoing basis.
TEAM (EFFECTIVE WORK GROUP) DEVELOPMENT AND CUSTOMER FOCUS/RELATIONSHIP:
- Actively solicits & participates in ongoing communication between other, Operations Managers, Corporate Directors and Managers, Facility Managers and staff as required.
- Ensures staff is optimally scheduled to create positive customer service experience.
- Ensures that all department staff adhere to the Customer Service Charter.
- Provides positive customer relations.
Provide Health and Safety Leadership:
- Ensures Health and Safety Standards are met by all staff.
- Ensures a safe working environment and a safe customer environment for the facility as detailed in the Risk Management checklist.
- As an active member of the Health & Safety Committee conduct monthly/quarterly/annual workplace safety inspections in conjunction with a non-management employee, and follow-up where required.
- With the General Manager ensures the Facility Emergency Plan is in place, and all staff and tenants are trained.
DECISION MAKING AND RESULTS:
Manage Financial Accountability and Administrative Requirements:
- Assists in the development of the Operations Department’s Annual Operating Plan and responsible for its implementation, delivery and achievement.
- Manages payroll.
- Ensures facility assets are maintained according to manufacturer specifications to ensure life expectancy.
- Ensures financial Statements are accurate by reviewing monthly financial statements against the Annual Operating Plan and internal records, identifying variances and recommending corrective action as required.
- Coordinates estimates and research under the direction of Corp Facilities on all CAPEX projects and other projects that have significant value.
STRATEGIC RELATIONSHIPS AND MANAGING CONFLICTS:
Manage Stakeholder Relationships:
- Ensures effective communication and working relationships with all stakeholders.
- Resolves conflicts between stakeholders, where required.
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
MANAGE BUILDING AND EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE:
- Inspects and ensures building maintenance tasks are completed to Manufacture’s, Canlan’s and / or governmental standards, as required.
- Responds and trouble shoots non routine issues ( e.g. staffing, equipment failure, alarms etc.) during or outside of regular working hours.
- Creates project plans and schedules for building and maintenance staff.
- Maintains company assets on FAME database
- Creates work schedules for janitorial staff.
- Inspects and ensure routine janitorial tasks are completed to standards.
MANAGE ICE PRODUCTION:
- Coordinates and schedules major ice maintenance, including "ice in and ice out" schedules with Sales and Program staff, as required.
- Ensures that ice production and refrigeration log readings and scheduled inspections are completed, as required.
- Creates work schedules (project plans and schedules) for operations department staff.
- Ensures all service requests are dealt with in a timely manner.
- Monitors consumption daily.
- Compares monthly invoices to utility tracking spreadsheet to check for discrepancies.
- Sets temperature and schedule for HVAC and refrigeration equipment based upon season and occupancy.
ENERGY & ENVIROMENTAL MANAGEMENT:
- Ensures consideration for best practices in energy use management and environmental impact are employed in all projects.
- Intermediate computer skills.
- 3 or more years ice maintenance & ice painting experience.
- Demonstrated strong all round mechanical & facility maintenance skills.
- Secondary School Graduation Diploma, College Graduation Diploma preferred.
- 2 to 3 years experience supervising people coupled with good communication skills
- Ticket equivalent to Manitoba Class W Power Engineering Certificate, Ontario Refrigeration Class B Ticket, BC 5th Class Refrigeration Certificate (or recognized equivalent).