This job posting is no longer active.
Canlan Ice Sports offers an impressive number of recreational and instructional programs for all ages and for all levels. These include 3on3, Hockey Academies, Skating Academies, Canlan Sports Camps and much more.
To consistently provide exceptional customer experiences through the execution / delivery of sport specific programs (as set out in the standardized portfolio brands) within the Canlan environment. Instructors will also assist in the preparation of lesson plans for programs.
(Integrity) Acting honestly with integrity, being productive, co-operative, accountable, responsible, flexible and positive.
- Proven work ethic, with utmost integrity.
- Maintains confidentiality
- Meets personal commitments.
- Adheres to policy & regulations.
- Willingness to take direction and learn.
- Has a positive enthusiastic attitude.
MAINTAINS PERSONAL STANDARDS:
Being concerned with personal well being, maintains standards of dress and hygiene which align to Canlan guidelines.
- Dressed professionally in full Canlan on-ice uniform or full Canlan off-ice uniform (camps related) each instruction program hour.
- Well groomed.
ATTENDANCE, PUNCTUALITY AND TIMELINESS:
Achieves expectations with regards to schedules and is sensitive to the timeliness needs of others.
- Adheres to posted schedule.
Knows & understands the needs of the customer (both internal & external). Puts a high
priority on Customer Satisfaction.
- Is available to answer questions before and after all on/off-ice instructional camps / programs to the best of their ability.
- Understands his/her responsibilities & role as a camp instructor / instructor.
Builds positive relationships with customers and fellow staff. Is responsive in dealing
with people. Displays a solid "service attitude".
- Participates in keeping all areas of the facility neat, tidy and safe at all times.
- Assists in correcting players bad habits in a positive and encouraging manner.
- Communicates and works well with fellow instructors.
- Understands the purpose of each camp / program and the needs of the athletes.
- Is available to answer customer questions before & after all on-ice instructional programs to the best of their ability.
- Provides a fun and interactive learning environment.
Works within and contributes to the effectiveness of the facility / department team. Respects differences, takes responsibility to help.
- Works effectively with others and independently.
- Reviews practice plans throughout each hour and communicates with fellow instructors on drill set up.
- 3 Hands out promotional materials to the parents, or suckers to the kids at the end of each program hour.
- Completes participant evaluations and makes suggestions for next steps to participant or parent.
- Stands in appropriate place to ensure safety & maximize participant learning on the ice (or as appropriate for the specific sport),
Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations.
- Adaptable and able to communicate positively and effectively with customers, participants and staff.
- Understands how to read and execute a practice plan.
- Demonstrates strong communication of drills and expectations to the athletes in group situations.
- Demonstrates strong time management with little down time between drills.
- Understands how to communicate and teach proper technique in all skill areas.
- Understands what weaknesses to look for/corrects players bad habits immediately.
- Can adjust practice plan to accommodate skill level.
- Ability to defuse emotionally charged situations.
- Self-awareness, with a desire for constant self improvement (goal orientated).
- Provides positive encouragement and feedback to all athletes.
- Sets and enforces the rules and standards for athletes follow.
- Ensures each program hour has the correct appropriate on-ice equipment.
- Ensures all athletes equipment is in good repair and skates are tightened.
ADAPTABLE & FLEXIBLE:
- Ability to take direction from Head Instructors.
- Ability to correct athletes weaknesses(bad habits) immediately.
- Self motivated, passionate, empathetic and approachable.
- Ability to recognize when a drill isnt working and correct it immediately.
UNDERSTANDS BUSINESS GOALS, PLANS & ORGANIZES:
- Understands that the program hours are based on registrations/Instructing is contract work.
- Understands that all training sessions are mandatory.
- Understands how employee evaluations are delivered and goals are set.
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
Provide Health and Safety Leadership:
- Is aware of the Facility Emergency Plan.
- Reports any unsafe Health & Safety conditions.
- Is aware of location of First Aid kit and Incident Reports.
- Is "WHMIS and "Workplace Violence" trained.
- Completes a safety check of the ice and boards prior to starting the program.
- Ensures all the gates closed prior to program starting and are the gates closed during the program hour.
- Adheres to all Risk Management policies and procedures.
- Is aware of the location of the Defibrillator is and how to use it.
- Must review, follow and execute each practice plan for each program hour.
- Must have strong communication skills with athletes, parents and fellow instructors.
- Has strong teaching skills and understanding how to teach proper technique.
- Is able to recognize players weaknesses and correct them immediately.
- Has an understanding of proper progression when teaching.
- Is able to communicate drills, provide a visual drawing of the drill and demonstrate each program.
- Is able to adapt quickly to the groups needs (splitting up based on skill level).
- Has proficient computer skills in: CLASS.
ENERGY & ENVIROMENTAL SENSITIVITY:
- Ensures consideration for best practices in energy use management and environmental impact are employed.
- Willingness and ability to work flexible hours (evenings & weekends).
- Team oriented.
- Enjoy working with children.
- Great People and Relationship Skills.
- Strong Leadership Skills.
- Strong Communicator.
- Excellent Organizational Skills.
- Strong Work Ethic.
- Minimum two years of sports instructing experience.
- Past Coaching/Teaching Experience preferred.
- Graduation from a university/college in the Sports/Leisure Administration field would be an asset.
- Physical Education and/or Sport Management background preferred.