Canlans Thirsty Penguin Restaurants strive to deliver great food products, service, and profitable growth through great people and experience.
A hands-on supervisor, managing the day-to-day operations of the restaurant in a professional manner. Provide leadership for all staff. Ensure the food preparation, portion sizes and presentation to our guest is consistent. Ensure customer service exceeds guests expectations. Controls product costs and ensure there are no variances in cash or inventories during the shift.
Responsibilities CORE COMPETENCIES:
(Integrity) Acting honestly with integrity, being productive, co-operative, accountable, responsible, flexible and positive.
- Proven work ethic, with utmost integrity.
- Meets personal commitments.
- Adheres to policy & regulations.
- Ability to deal with large sums of money at times.
- Has a positive enthusiastic attitude.
MAINTAINS PERSONAL STANDARDS:
Being concerned with personal well being, maintains standards of dress and hygiene which align to Canlan guidelines.
- Dressed professionally as detailed in dress code policy.
- Adheres to the Customer Service Charter.
ATTENDANCE, PUNCTUALITY AND TIMELINESS:
- Achieves expectations with regards to schedules and is sensitive to the timeliness needs of others.
- Adheres to posted schedule.
Knows & understands the needs of the customer (both internal & external). Puts a high priority on Customer Satisfaction.
- Listens and empathizes with customers.
- Clarifies customers' needs.
- Confirms customer satisfaction.
- Takes initiative with customers to actively sell products and services.
Builds positive relationships with customers and fellow staff. Is responsive in dealing with people. Displays a solid "service attitude".
- Participates in keeping all areas of the facility neat, tidy and safe at all times.
Works within and contributes to the effectiveness of the facility / department team. Respects differences, takes responsibility to help.
- Works effectively with others and independently.
- Hiring, training, coaching and development of staff in a positive employee relations environment.
- Assists in training of new employees.
- Mentors junior staff members.
- Desire to excel and succeed as a department and team.
Expresses ideas effectively in individual and group situations.
- Adaptable and able to communicate positively and effectively with customers, participants and staff.
- Able to effectively host training sessions.
- Ability to defuse emotionally charged situations.
- Ability to listen effectively to all concerns and conflicts with an open mind and customer focus.
- Provides a high level of accuracy and detail.
- Self-awareness, with a desire for constant self improvement (goal orientated).
- Willing to work to exceed expectations.
ADAPTABLE & FLEXIBLE:
- Must be flexible to work irregular shifts (evenings and weekends).
- Self motivated, passionate, empathetic and approachable.
UNDERSTANDS BUSINESS GOALS, PLANS & ORGANIZES:
- Ability to prioritise and multi task.
- Participates / assists in the development of the Annual Operating Plan (AOP).
- Understands the goals for the department and how they contribute to the overall success of the facility and the company.
TECHNICAL SKILLS AND KNOWLEDGE:
- Provide Health and Safety Leadership:
- Is aware of the Facility Emergency Plan.
- Reports any unsafe Health & Safety conditions.
- Is aware of location of First Aid kit and Incident Reports.
- Is "WHMIS and "Workplace Violence" trained.
- Is aware of the location of the eye wash station and how to use it.
- Is aware of the location of the Defibrillator and how to use it.
- Has proficient computer skills in the SQUIRREL system, handling payments, making change, handling gratuities, processing voids etc.
- Is SMART Serve (or equivalent) certified.
- Is aware of and actively promotes "specials / go with items".
- Has a developed knowledge of menu items.
- Ensures all opening / closing procedures are completed (shift dependant).
- Receiving of products.
- Safe & sanitary storing of products.
- Has a developed knowledge of beverages.
- Has a developed knowledge of tableware, bar tools & equipment.
- Maintains effective inventory controls of bar products.
ENERGY & ENVIROMENTAL SENSITIVITY:
- Ensures consideration for best practices in energy use management and environmental impact are employed.
Requirements QUALIFICATIONS / SPECIAL SKILLS:
- Willingness and ability to work flexible hours (evenings & weekends).
- Outgoing positive personality.
- Team oriented.
EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION:
- Minimum three years previous Food & Beverage experience required.
- Prior staff leadership background preferred.
- Minimum high school graduation.
- Food Safe Certification preferred.
- Smart Serve (or equivalent) required.